ESTES PARK – Rocky Mountain National Park implemented the final phase of its Commercial Services Strategy for guided commercial climbing in the park. This past July, park staff released a prospectus for up to six concession contracts for Instruction and Guide Services in Technical Mountaineering. These contracts were recently awarded to:
- American Alpine Institute, Ltd. Bellingham, Washington
- Colorado Mountain School Estes Park, Colorado
- Colorado Wilderness Rides and Guides Boulder, Colorado
- Kent Mountain Adventure Center, Inc. Estes Park, Colorado
- Jackson Hole Mountain Guides Jackson, Wyoming
- San Juan Mountain Guides, LLC Ouray, Colorado
One of the goals of the Commercial Services Strategy is to create more choices in guided climbing and technical mountaineering commercial services for park visitors. Previously, the park had a single contract for this service. Awarding contracts to additional entities will create diverse opportunities for the public to select from a variety of possible mountaineering trips; reflecting different prices, styles, and program orientation.
The visitor services to be provided under the terms of the new Concession Contracts are essentially the same as those required and authorized by the previous Concession Contract. All of the contracts will authorize the same services which include rock climbing, ice climbing and avalanche training.