The historic Stanley Hotel is holding a public competition to design a 61,500-square-foot hedge maze inspired by Stanley Kubrick’s “The Shining” film. The contest will attract designers—amateur and professional—from around the world who will have an opportunity to put their work and name on permanent display at the iconic Stanley Hotel which draws hundreds of thousands of visitors a year.
The Maze will serve as an homage to the film, which was itself inspired by author Stephen King’s experience at The Stanley Hotel. It also will commemorate the 20 year anniversary of the current ownership of the hotel.
“There are few hotels in the world that share a history and story as unique as that of the Stanley Hotel,” John W. Cullen, owner of the property, said. “I am thrilled to share this special moment in my life and the hotel’s history. We have built this place together over the years and I’m excited to invite everyone to be a part of its legacy through this special design contest.”
In true Colorado spirit, the hedge maze will be comprised of 1,600 to 2,000 Alpine Currant hedge bushes and will be a prominent feature on the hotel’s front lawn.
The ribbon-cutting for the maze will take place on the opening night of the 3rd annual Stanley Film Festival on April 30.
The winning design will be chosen by a special panel of Estes Park residents, Stanley Hotel employees and film festival staff. The contest winner will have their name placed on a recognition placard in the center of the maze.
The deadline for submissions is Jan. 31. Designs are restricted to the use of hedge and path only and should begin and end at the points indicated by arrows in the template.
Designs must be submitted in PDF or EPS format by midnight on Jan. 31 to email@example.com. All submissions should include full name, street and e-mail addresses and a phone number.
For more information on the contest, contact History and Architecture Manager Jeremy Spates at jspates@stanley
hotel.com or 970-577-4106. Visit www.stanleyhotel.com/themaze to download a template and see all design rules.
The Stanley Maze Design Contest Instructions
• Designs are restricted to the use of hedge and path only.
• The maze should begin and end at the points indicated by arrows in the template.
• The maze should be drawn inside the orange space in the center of the template. The maze will cover an area of 61500 square feet for the front lawn.( view the Maze example link below for reference)
• The size of the hedge and width of the path should be equal to those shown in the key of the template.
• Designs should be layered over the template provided.
• Designs should submitted by midnight on 1/31/15.
• All files should be submitted in PDF or EPS format via the email address
• All submissions email should include full name, street and email addresses and phone number of the contestant.