GILPIN COUNTY – The Gilpin Archwood 4-H Club is in full swing this spring with several activities currently available for youth ages 8-18. All prospective members are welcome to visit and explore several topics.
Regularly Scheduled 4-H Club meetings (prospective members are welcome to check these out before enrolling) at the Extension Barn (230 Norton Drive)
- Dog Agility: Every Thursday 6:30-8pm
- Business Meeting: First Tuesday 6:30-8pm
- Archery: Second Tuesday 6:30-8pm
- Air Rifle: Third Tuesday 6:30-8pm
- Robotics: Fourth Tuesday 6:30-8pm
Many think that if they do not have animals, there may be little else to do in a 4-H club. That is a common myth and in fact, the 4H Club is committed towards helping foster positive youth development in our community in many way. This is an inspiring factor behind a new series called Show-Me 4-H where youth ages 8-18 can come check out some of the thousands of topics available in the 4-H of today (no enrollment necessary)! Young people and their parents are invited and welcome. Please note: RSVPs to firstname.lastname@example.org are required so that enough materials and supplies can be made available for every participant.
Upcoming Monthly Show-Me 4-H Events:
- Introduction to Cake Decorating with the Amazing Ardetta: Ardetta has been a coveted community baker for decades and will be sharing her expertise. On Tuesday March 29 from 6:30-8pm at the Extension Barn at 230 Norton Drive. RSVPs required by Friday, March 25.
- Canning Salsa: We will be canning some salsa for everyone to take home. Saturday, April 16th from 2-5pm at the kitchen of Christ the King Community Church at 971 Hwy 46, across from the High Country Professional Building. RSVPs required by Thursday, April 14.
- Geocaching (Two Part Session) with Robert Sacco: Part one will be an introduction to geocaching on Wednesday, May 25 from 6:30-8pm where kids will be taught the basic skills. These skills will be put to use in the local area with part two on Saturday, May 28 from 8:30-11:30am. The first part will be held and the second will start at the extension barn as well.
Do you have a special trade, skill, hobby, passion that you might like to share with our area youth for a couple hours? Please share with us! You can contact Organizational Leader Heather Worrell at email@example.com or by calling 720-323-9228 to receive more information about sharing or participating in the Gilpin Archwood 4H Club as a potential youth member, parent, or community volunteer.
Fun 4-H science-oriented afterschool programming at the Community Center on Mondays and Wednesdays. Please call the Rec Center to register (303-582-1453): cost is $6/day per child. The school bus will take your child over to the Rec Center, you can pick them up at 6 pm or earlier.
It’s not too early to think about summer! Take part in our Metro2Mountain 4-H adventure this summer on June 21 and 22 for youth 10-12. Meet other kids from Denver, Arapahoe and Clear Creek Counties, camp outside at Golden Gate Canyon State Park, hike, and spend a day in Denver. Please call 303-582-9106 to register.